Please note our store closing date is November 1st, we are always available by appointment!
One common problem that pool owners have over the winter months is keeping mice and rodents away from their pool equipment. When the weather turns cold and we close our pools, mice and other rodents like squirrels, rats and chipmunks love to nest in a warm place like the inside of your pool heater, equipment and pool covers. They can quickly chew holes right through thick pool covers and chew up wiring inside of expensive equipment causing irreparable damage and costly repairs.
Here are a few tips to help keep your equipment safe from rodent damage:
- Use moth balls. Mice and rodents hate the smell of moth balls. These come in handy little packets which make it easy to drop a few inside packed away covers and around your expensive equipment.
- Use hardwire cloth to cover any openings on your equipment and do not cover with a winter cover as this provides a nice warm safe haven for rodents.
- Stuff steel wool inside open cracks and holes of equipment. This is one thing rodents cannot chew through and if they try it will hurt them. Be thorough as tiny rodents can squeeze through some incredibly tiny spaces.
- Use mouse deterrents such as Mouse Busters® sold at The Swimming Pool Store around all your pool equipment and entrances.
- Throw some rubber snakes around near your equipment as rodents hate snakes for obvious reasons. This may not be quite as effective as some of the steps above but it couldn’t hurt and just might deter them from coming any further towards your equipment.
- Store any equipment and items that pose a risk to rodent damage indoors if possible.